The next time the family shouts "Are we having leftover ham again?" Surprise them with this quick and easy Western Ham Sandwich served in a pita pocket.
Western Ham Sandwich - Makes 4
- ½ cup cooked ham, minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- ½ cup sweet green pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- ½ cup black beans, cooked
- ½ cup red beans, cooked
- 1 tsp. Redi-Base GF Ham Base or RC NM Ham Base
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 sandwich pita pockets
Directions: Heat butter or margarine in skillet. Add onion, green pepper, and Redi-Base. Sauté one minute. Add ham, black and red beans, mustard, and black pepper. Sauté until heated thoroughly. Divide between the pita pockets.
- Add a little western style dressing for an extra kick.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. chives
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. Redi-Base GF Vegetable Base or RC NM Golden Vegetable Base
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and add a little on the top of each sandwich.
- More ideas for using leftover ham
- Add diced ham to any recipe for scalloped potatoes.
- Add diced ham to a rice pilaf.
- Add diced ham to soups like Corn Chowder or Navy Bean Soup.