Every October, boaters, anglers and seafood aficionados all across the country celebrate National Seafood Month. This annual event highlights the country’s fishing industry and the value of smart seafood choices.
Celebrate this annual Fall event by creating this versatile seafood dish.
Seafood Risotto - Serves 2
- 5 cups of prepared Seafood Base
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 6 Tbsp. (¾ stick) butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. dried crushed red pepper
- ½ pound Shellfish or Fish Choice*
- ¾ finely chopped onion
- 1½ cups Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
Directions: Bring broth and ¼ cup wine to a simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat; keep hot.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp. garlic and crushed red pepper. Add Seafood or Shellfish choice.
*Shellfish Choice: Mix of shrimp, clams, crab, lobster, mussels, and scallops.
*Fish Choice: Cut in chunks before cooking and flake when added to the risotto at the end of the recipe.
- Sauté until seafood until just cooked, about 2 minutes. Add remaining ½ cup wine. Simmer until seafood is just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drain seafood, reserve cooking liquid.
- Melt remaining 4 Tbsp. butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and remaining 1 tsp. garlic; sauté until onion is pale golden, about 4 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat about 2 minutes. Add 2 cups broth mixture 1 cup at a time, stirring often and simmering until liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 20 minutes. Stir in reserve seafood cooking liquid. Cook until rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir seafood and 2 tbsp parsley into risotto. Season risotto to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowls. Sprinkle with 2 tsp. parsley. Serve.